But as the big game approaches, I recognize that for millions of people, the Super Bowl is mostly a great excuse to get together with friends and family and indulge. You don't need to know the difference between a safety and a two-point conversion to know that you can have a delicious vegan Super Bowl party. These plant-based meal ideas are sure to be crowd-pleasers:
- Show your rooting interest for the Ravens (they're from Baltimore) with a vegan spin on a regional classic: crab cakes with homemade vegan hollandaise sauce.
- If you are pressed for time, grab some vegan crab cakes from Sophie's Kitchen.
- If you're rooting for San Francisco this year and want all your friends to know it, go for The Lunchbox Bunch's decadent veg variation of a San Fran classic: vegan clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl.
- If you couldn't care less who wins, there's no need to commit to a team--or to a tortilla chip topping with a delicious, yet so simple seven layer dip or some killer nachos.
- Don't forget about the hot dogs! Vegan frankfurters from Field Roast are insanely delicious.
Having beer or wine? Check out Barnivore for vegan selections.
- Finally, to really seal the deal on savory, spicy, sweet, smoky, and satisfying, serve Robin Robertson's Finger-Lickin' Tempeh Fingers from her book Party Vegan. Then everyone will be a winner!
For hundreds more recipes and tips on delicious vegan eating throughout the on-season and off, visit ChooseVeg.com.